Join now - be part of our community!

How to transfer old Hi-8 film from TR330E camcorder to Mac/Pc

profile.country.GB.title
Little_bear55
New

How to transfer old Hi-8 film from TR330E camcorder to Mac/Pc

Please help! I have an old Sony camcorder CCD-TR330E an I need to transfer the Hi8 tapes to my Mac and PC. The only connections on the camcorder are video and audio out. There’s no FireWire connection or Aux. Just the two cables. How do I transfer from this. What converter will I need?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Little_bear55 and welcome.

Check your camcorder - DCR-TRV330E or CCD- TR330E? The AV cable will be different. I can’t find support for the CCDTR330E

If you go to the Support Area for your camcorder you will see tutorials on how to transfer video:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv330e

You can also download the manual.

Basically, you will need the supplied AV Cable or buy a replacement. This is a 3.5 mm jack at the camera end and 3X  Y/R/W RCA plugs on the other for the DCR-TRV. The CCD-TR should be similar.

You can connect the RCA jacks to a DVD or Hard Disc recorder to copy the video across to your recorder.

If you want to copy the video to a PC, you will need to purchase a USB Video Capture Device to connect the three RCA plugs to your computer’s USB port. Make sure you buy one comparible with your PC and OS.

90A15B46-B376-459B-8DA6-C7E9A32A09AD.png

FEF975FE-F647-4680-B7AB-13BBE5676479.png

profile.country.GB.title
Little_bear55
New

I have looked at the manuals, but they don’t tell me about the specific question I have as it focuses on the other camcorder model that has more connections.
I have one audio out cable, and I need to transfer tapes over to computer but the converters have two audio connections left and right. What do I need to do in this situation.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Looks like the CCD-TR330E has a simple Video and mono Audio cable. Same applies - this needs connection to the USB Video Capture Device.

5BD55AD0-3B17-497F-9B39-695B869DC102.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Little_bear55
New

What happens when all the converters have audio for left and right (red and white cables) and I have just one black audio out cable.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I guess you will need a 1x Female to 2x Male splitter for the audio. Or you may get by with just connecting to the red and ignoring the white.

52749D28-4D36-4FBA-B113-0668948CF290.png