Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N7200W Netflix and 5.1 ch surround issue

SOLVED
chrisg3427
Explorer

BDV-N7200W Netflix and 5.1 ch surround issue

When using Netflix on my BDVN7200W, the effects from the surround speakers (back left and right) only come out of the right speaker. The left is extremely quiet. I have checked all wires, all settings and I have changed the sound to different modes and the back left is still very quiet. I got onto Netflix, and it seems that they do not support this model, even though its been out for a year. Is anyone else having this problem. And does anybody know if they will begin to support it? Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
chrisg3427
Explorer

Hello, 

Thanks for the help! Turns out as I fiddled around with Netflix audio options (stereo and 5.1) the back left speaker is now giving out a good volume. Not sure how long this will last so if I have this problem again, I'll be sure to check and see if it is the speakers. 

Thanks again for the help.

View solution in original post

chrisg3427
Explorer

So I had this issue again after a couple of months. After fiddeling around with the settings for several hours, I found that you need to turn off the 'automatic relocation' feature. After I did this - everything works amazingly well. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Is your firmware the latest version? The current most recent version is: vM21.R.0164

You can find further details here: Improve the connectivity and BD-ROM playback

As a test and to rule out a fault with your speaker, can you swap the surround speakers over and see if the same issue applies? If the sound issue is reversed then it would suggest the speaker is at fault.

I do know that for some devices there was recently an update to fix some issues with sound on Netflix although it's not clear if this has been incorporated into the above firmware.

Also please note that some streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime advertise sound as being 5.1 on some films but this is not always the case during playback. I've noticed that Amazon Prime is especially guilty of this and I've notified them accordingly. My guess is that it's an error on the Amazon website in the film listings.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MK_Slinky wrote:

As a test and to rule out a fault with your speaker, can you swap the surround speakers over and see if the same issue applies? If the sound issue is reversed then it would suggest the speaker is at fault.

Hi there

If the above still produces the same results, try adjusting the speaker distances and level settings.  Page 49 of the manual : HERE

Cheers

chrisg3427
Explorer

Hello, 

Thanks for the help! Turns out as I fiddled around with Netflix audio options (stereo and 5.1) the back left speaker is now giving out a good volume. Not sure how long this will last so if I have this problem again, I'll be sure to check and see if it is the speakers. 

Thanks again for the help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update and glad you got it working !  :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Chris

Thanks for the update! I would hazzard a guess that the issue was with the sound settings on Netflix as you suggest. Certainly if the audio level is now operating normally it pretty much rules out a faulty speaker.

Perhaps you should have marked your own post as the solution?!

All the best...

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14

Where do you find the firmware version?

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Good job I'm following you today, you'd have a long wait otherwise! :wink:

Sorry I jumped the gun with my reply and didn't read your question properly! To find out which Firmware version you currently have open the HOME menu and scroll left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon) then scroll all the way down that list until you reach SYSTEM INFORMATION. You will find the firmware version located here.

BTW, if you let me know what BDP model you have I can check the latest firmware version for you. If it's the same as your device you don't need to update it.

To check for any updates do the following:

Firstly make sure your Blu-ray player is connected to the internet via a LAN Cable to your router. Don't attempt a firmware upgrade via a wireless connection, Sony don't recommend this due to signal dropouts.

Next open the HOME menu on your BDP and scroll left until you reach the SETUP (Toolbox Icon) scroll up that list until you reach 'SOFTWARE UPDATE'. Follow the onscreen prompts from there.

Don't attempt to use your player or press any remote buttons until update is completed.

If a LAN connection is not possible in your situation you can also download the firmware by visiting this link and select your model number from the list. Follow the advice given for downloading the firmware: Support for Blu ray Players

chrisg3427
Explorer

So I had this issue again after a couple of months. After fiddeling around with the settings for several hours, I found that you need to turn off the 'automatic relocation' feature. After I did this - everything works amazingly well.