Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
webvamsi666

Hi @julianblack 

I am planing to return my Sony KD-55X8005C 55-Inch 4K and take the LG 55UF860V, could you please confirm wheather LG would be able to passthrough DTS 5.1 via optical output because this is lacking in all sony TV's, as i have no choice to use HDMI in my Logitech Z906 speakers.

I see many sony TV's dont have this option to passthrough DTS or DTS HD MA. I checked Dolby 5.1 works perfect decode in KODI. 

Also does LG have KODI ? and would it play all 4k content smoothly (i mostly download .mkv and .m2ts files from internet and a fan of 5.1 surrond system) 

What player LG uses to play any HD videos from external HDD ? 

Thank you :slight_smile: 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@webvamsi666 don't forget the main thing in a television: the image! LG Tv's (not the OLED ones) use IPS panels that have big problems in showing good blacks. Just check it before making a wrong decision

profile.country.IE.title
Frady1

Hi to all,

first time on here.

My KDL43755CBU arrived yesterday and it defaults to having the subtitles on.

I'm watching BBC1 on satellite and sts are on.

I turn them off, I then change channel and the sts are on that channel.

I go back to BBC1 for example and they are back on again.

I called Sony, told me do a factory reset and there's no difference.

Also it doesn't recognize my films on my HDD.

I saw other posts with that problem already.

I have seen in the past there is great support on this thread.

Any help greatly appreciated.

profile.country.RO.title
alexw85

Hello everybody!

I just bought a KDL-50W808C and i'm dealing with an unsual problem

I have digital television from UPC Romania (LIberty Global) with digital smart card CI+

I have two channels that are 720p/50hz and the immage is still but the audio is ok and subtitles also.

The rest of the tv channels are 576 or 1080i but 25Hz and working perfectly.

When i change the picture to game mode on the 720p/50Hz channels immage appears but it's very abrupt (jerky).

I presume it has something to do with the picture mode (different settings- i tried every setting on or off but nothing happens).

Thank you, 

Alex

mk1.golf.1983

Hi @Frady1, we have the same set as you do and we also but only very occasionally have an issue with the subtitles do not turn off at first instance, however normally it will turn off after a couple of attempts? As for the video files not playing, we use an app called es file explorer, this seems to find and play the content on our hdd. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@bluraypete

The trouble with getting a free one is you can't send it back for a refund 😞

But yes, they are not distaff-friendly, and my wife is very happy with our new Samsung in the lounge, and the Sony relegated to the study.

Have to say though, that when it was in the lounge, briefly, it worked perfectly with a Sony BluRay player, both with it upscaling and letting the TV upscale (the Sony default when it sees a Sony TV), a DigitalStream PVR, and a Roku 3, plugged into my Yamaha DSP-2500 soundbar, and when feeding back sound from broadcast TV over ARC.

These do seem to be things that only work for some people some of the time, though 😞

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.IE.title
Frady1

Thanks for the reply 

mk1.golf.1983. 

I can turn them off alright but as I said each channel change they are back on.

Another thing I notice is after about 10 seconds on a new channel the screen goes black for about 3 seconds and it's fine after that.

I take it that is what people have been calling 'black screen'.

I did have a good look on this thread before I purchased.

I wanted a satellite built-in and from that point the Sony was my best bet.

Not good with apps but I'll try your suggestion and thank you very much.

cozzykim

@Frady1 wrote:

I did have a good look on this thread before I purchased.

I wanted a satellite built-in and from that point the Sony was my best bet.

Not good with apps but I'll try your suggestion and thank you very much.

I'm not so sure about that logic, both Samsung and Panasonic TVs have far better twin DVB-S and DVB-T tuners built in, my Sammy even gives me the option to select general or FreeSat (with EPG) tuning.

Interesting. At the beginning of November, danielbeyzade created a standard email (page 241 of this thread if anyone wants to go back and see the full contents) to be sent to the European CEO of Sony to see if it would help resolve the situation - this was specifically in response to the announcement that the youview update would preclude using the satillite or HDD functionality.

Along with some others I emailed the CEO and got a standard  'Thanks for contacting Sony support' email and a case number. This afternoon (2 months after the original email) I've just had  an update which said, 

"In regards to your query, please reply back to this email with you contact phone number, so we can discuss this issue further." Has anyone else from the original emailers had this and spoken to Sony? I would follow it up and see what they have to say, but I no longer have the TV (having taken it back to PCWorld on the grounds it had been misadvertised) it would be a fairly short conversation.

mattstev

I hadn't seen the stansard email suggested but I emailed the CEO a few weeks ago and got a case number in response.

Nothing since though.