Join now - be part of our community!

RE: Sony NW-A45 Walkman Missing Artwork (help)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

RE: Sony NW-A45 Walkman Missing Artwork (help)

Hi folks,

I purchase a brand new Sony NW-A45 Walkman two weeks ago from Amazon.

I have tranferred my FLAC format music collection across (from my C-drive) but, as of yet, none of the artwork is being displayed, period.  

I spent many many hours over the past 12 months compiling appropriate artworks for each CD but as I say, they are not showing.  However, they do show on my PC (ie. foobar) and on my Amazon Fire tablet (ie. foobar again).  I was assured - pre-purchase - that this Walkman device does in fact display all and any artworks.

Many thanks in advance for any kind help offered.

Paul (UK)

Keyboards / Composer / Arranger
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Darkmiss2020
Explorer

I hope I'm not too late with this reply, but ever since I bought my NW-A55 Walkman a few weeks ago I have been troubled with many of my embedded album art not showing on the Walkman unit but will show anywhere else EG windows media players, windows explorer and other MP3 players.

after many hours searching for the answer as to why it was only the Sony Walkman that had this trouble and only with some of my files, I finally found the answer.

I was how the album art was saved before it was embedded into the mp3 file, it had nothing to do with the size of the file in pixels or kb file size.

I found out that it was a setting called "Progressive" when saving a JPG file, there are various options you can change before saving a JPG file like compression amount and so on but if progressive is ticked in the options when saving the file, and embedding it into your MP3,  the Sony Walkman will not display the album art.

I extracted every album art that was not displaying and re-saved them without this option ticked, then re embedded them using Mp3Tag,  and now every MP3 and Flac file I have shows their album art perfectly.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @monsterjazzlicks,

how did you transfer the files to your Walkman?

I use it to play my .flac files I bough on bandcamp.com and all of them show the thumbnail image (artwork).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

Hi IamNic,

Thanks a lot.

I formatted a brand new SD-card whilst it was inside the Sony Walkman device.  Tech support were on the phone guiding me through the steps.  Then I used a 3rd-party paid-for s/w called 'Beyond Compare' to transfer over the FLACs.  These music files are not purchased; but rather I ripped my own (hard-copy) CD collection via my PC using another 3rd-party paid-for s/w called 'dBpa Illustrate'.

Therefore, I did not use Sony's propriety:

https://musiccenter.sony.net/en/downloads/

I was told that using this s/w is 'option', and that a simple drag&drop will work equally as well.

Much appreciated,

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

I would be very grateful for some help with my above mentioned reply.

Many thanks,

Paul

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @monsterjazzlicks,

I never used said software, yet I would like you to simply drag+drop the same files onto the SD-card while the player is connected and in USB-mode.

Do the artworks show up this way?

@Sonyvores can probably help you as well.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

Hi IamNic,

The device was connected to my PC via a USB lead when I performed the task using 'Beyond Compare' over the weekend; otherwise I would not have been able to transfer the files across in the first place!

Thanks,

Paul

profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

Hi,

After waiting 5 days for my issue to be investigated, the solution just came back from Sony Higher Tech Support:

"Download, and use, Apple iTunes instead of Sony Music Centre!"

Just how LOW can Sony Customer Services let themselves, and their service, stoop?

Thanks,

Paul

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

@monsterjazzlicks@  wrote:

The device was connected to my PC via a USB lead when I performed the task using 'Beyond Compare' over the weekend; otherwise I would not have been able to transfer the files across in the first place!

You misunderstood me - I am fully aware, that it is connected via USB, yet I asked you to not use any software to move the files to the players storage, yet simply drag+drop them (e.g. via Windows Explorer).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

IamNic,

OK, I was just explaining for the sake of clarity and to avoid any possible confusion which may arise.

You/we would have thought that transfering files to the Walkman via the Sony Music Centre s/w would work.  I mean, that's specifically what the s/w has been DESIGNED for!  Suggesting iTunes as an alternative is simply ludicrous!

I will test using your method of drag&drop ...

Paul 

profile.country.GB.title
monsterjazzlicks

IamNic,

I tried out your suggestion a couple of times last night.  Out of nearly 500 x albums, still, not one of them displays the artwork.

Thanks.